1. Lock the door that serves as the entryway from the house to the garage. This would keep the children really off-limits to this area of the house. And so that this way, they might not be able to get into it without your understanding or permission. Keep the keys to the lock safely tucked away from their get to.
2. Store toxic chemicals, flammable items, strength tools, and sharpened objects inside a locked cabinet installed in a location that is too high for your children to reach.
3. Verify the door's emergency reverse feature. It is best to invest on a garage door such as Hormann doors that come with this safety feature. This feature ensures that if something comes in contact with the door ever, it would revert to its authentic open position. If your garage door does not come with this safety feature ever, it is about time which you have one installed. Better yet, install a newer and modern garage door to ensure utmost security not only for the kids but also for the entire family. Be sure to rely just on trusted and trustworthy brands.
4. Supervise your kids at all times especially the young ones closely. Unless you are absolutely sure that your kids are older and mature good enough to understand danger and steer clear of it at all costs, it's best that you never leave your eyes off them. If you can't do this, have someone else keep an eye on them.
5. Never let the kids play with the door's remote handles. Keep these handles out of their reach.
6. Explain to your kids the dangers found in the garage. You don't necessarily have to scare your kids and tell them spooky stories like there is a monster hiding in this area of the house. Most children today are smart good enough to understand if you explain to them that the garage contains hazardous items that may endanger their protection. Also, tell them never to place their hands near the garage doors to avoid accidents and pinching.
Childproofing your home is not so easy. You should consider countless of items and think of unexpected scenarios that are possible to happen. Since this is your children's protection involved, you can be too sure never. You should go through severe lengths to keep them protected and properly protected against achievable harms such as those found in your garage.